For 20 years, SV’s strategy has been consistent – identify and invest in the most promising healthcare ventures led by remarkable and inspired management teams.
We do more than just invest in innovative companies. We establish a partnership with our portfolio companies. The relationship continues beyond the final exit. Members of the SV team are actively involved in the development and/or growth of each portfolio company. We always serve as active board members. We collaborate with management teams to minimize risk and maximize the value of the business, using cash in the most effective way and participate in exit discussions for the benefit of management and investors.
Here’s how we contribute:
Board of Directors
- Provide leadership on the company’s board of directors and various sub‐committees
- Support and guide the management team from entry to exit
- Recruit additional key hires to senior management and independent board members
- Assist in the procurement of supplemental debt and equity capital
- Support, shape and review the business plan, budgets and strategic direction
- Identify corporate, product and technology acquisition targets, and partnerships
- Provide access to an international network of leading experts and key opinion leaders with specific domain knowledge
- Convey understanding of consumer behavior as well as physician and patient needs
- Impart knowledge of legislative initiatives and regulatory approval processes
Deal Structure, Business Plan and Exit Strategies
- Assist with pragmatic milestone-based business plans to promote focus and ROI
- Establish contingency plans (e.g., identify merger opportunities for growth)
- Identify likely corporate investors/acquirers and build toward a successful exit
- Grow industry leading companies that are bought, not sold
We target compelling teams and differentiated technologies that address major, unmet clinical needs – disrupting cost, relieving the symptomatic burdens of illness, and improving quality of life.
Alector is an immuno-neurology focused biotech start-up advancing first-in-class therapeutics for neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s disease.Visit website
Amathus are developing small-molecule therapeutics for enhanced mitochondrial function to treat rare lysosomal-storage disorders as well as neurodegenerative diseases, such as Parkinson’s diseaseVisit website
Astrocytes are an abundant cell type in the brain that support neuronal firing, metabolism and blood-brain barrier function in a healthy brain, however in disease they can exacerbate and even drive neurotoxicity. AstronauTx is a DDF-formed company targeting astrocytes to restore their homeostatic function as treatments for dementias.
Cerevance is exploiting a novel platform for identifying and validating new disease targets in human brain tissue. Cerevance's management, experience, resources and exceptional platform will position them as leaders in cell-biology based approaches to dementia.Visit website
Evelo are discovering and developing therapies designed to act on the gut-body network. Their therapies are based on our growing understanding of the central role of the gut in modulating immune activity throughout the body and the important role of microbes as key modulators of the gut-body network.Visit website
Gen2 is a seed stage company using proprietary human induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-derived neurons to identify disease-associated forms of extracellular tau, with the aim of developing therapeutics to selectively inhibit transmission of these toxic forms of tau.Visit website
LoQus23 is a DDF-formed company focussing on targeting DNA damage repair pathways to treat Huntington’s disease and other triplet repeat neurodegenerative diseases.
Mitoconix Bio is pioneering a novel strategy to improving mitochondrial health as a disease-modifying therapeutic for neurodegenerative diseases. Mitoconix’ lead drug is a first-in-class inhibitor of pathological mitochondrial fragmentation and dysfunction with demonstrated in vivo efficacy in a range of neurodegenerative diseases.Visit website
A seed stage company, Ribometrix is validating proprietary platform technology for small molecule drug discovery targeting mRNA. This approach has the potential to greatly expand the number of “druggable” therapeutic targets, and achieve efficacy while overcoming the safety and delivery issues suffered by existing RNAi approaches.Visit website
Rheostat is targeting the selective autophagy pathway for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease. Autophagy is a biological process that degrades long‐lived proteins, including damaged organelles and toxic aggregates, and is fundamental to maintaining healthy cellular homeostasis; dysregulation of autophagy is hypothesized to lead to neurodegeneration.Visit website
Tiaki is a DDF-formed company focusing on discovery of new microglial functions that provide evidence that dementias are linked to loss of homeostatic microglial activity. Tiaki is building an authentic in vitro microglia platform to restore microglial homeostatic function for the treatment of dementia.Visit website